Monday, April 26, 2021

Apportionment

I have been very busy lately. But I have been relieved about US politics, I was so anxious going into November and continuing all the way to January 20 (With a spike on January 6, and I heard enough online to be anxious about January 6 after D).

This isn't an anxious post. I think that there might be things to be anxious about, in Georgia for example, but I am not anxious. I did want to share thoughts about Apportionment. Apparently, New York, California, West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Michigan all lost seats. Oregon, North Carolina, Colorado, Montana, Florida and Texas (2) all gained. Some people were anxious about this.

Florida, Colorado, North Carolina Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan have all been considered swing states. Texas, Montana and West Virginia are considered Republican while New York, California, Oregon and Illinois have been considered Democratic. This would suggest a 2 seat shift from Democratic to Republican. However, Ohio has looked very Republican lately and Colorado has looked very Democratic. This would give a 1 seat shift from Democratic to Republican. Finally, if Texas actually becomes a swing state, then it is a 1 seat shift from Democratic to swing.

So no, this is not something to be anxious about.


No comments:

Post a Comment